Freestone County 4-H Enrollment 2019-2020 will open on August 15, 2019. Price is $25 per youth and $10 per adult. Price increases to $30 per youth on November 1st. (Must be enrolled by March 1st to show at the County Fair)
To sign up for Remind reminders please follow this link: *Note 4-H reminders will be sent out this way*
Major Show exhibitors join: https://www.remind.com/join/majorshowe
Follow Freestone County 4-H on Facebook, lots of announcements, events and reminders are posted on this site.
Dates To Remember: 2019-2020 4-H Year Meetings start in September
(Must attend & sign in at 4 club meetings to be eligible to show at county fair.)
- Dew 4-H meets 3rd Tuesday of every month at 5:30pm at Dew ISD Cafeteria
- Club Managers: Laura Tugwell
- Eagle Country 4-H meets 2nd Tuesday of every month at 6pm at the Extension Office
- Club Managers: Melissa Benner
- Fairfield 4-H meets 1stMonday of every month at 6pm at Fairfield Civic Center (Green Barn)
- Club Managers: Kayla Lupo & Brigit Coufal
- Faith Academy 4-H meets 2nd Thursday of every month at 3:45pm at Faith Academy School
- Club Manager: Julie Steward
- Freestone Community 4-H meets 2ndSunday of every month at 6pm at Freestone Community Center
- Club Managers: Christi Oakes and Marsha Morgan
- Wortham 4-H meets 1stWednesday of every month at 6pm at Wortham Chamber Building
- Club Managers: April Kofnovec andAmanda Henderson
- County Council meets the Last Monday of every month at 5:30pm at the Extension Office
- Adult Leaders meets the Last Monday of every month at 6:30pm at the Extension Office
- Dew 4-H meets 3rd Tuesday of every month at 5:30pm at Dew ISD Cafeteria
- Major Heifer—physical validation Tuesday October 29th at the Emmons Ranch, 541 Highway 75 N in Fairfield, 4-6pm
Fort Worth, San Antonio, San Angelo, Austin & Houston Major Show Entries will be due by 6pm November 7th in the Extension Office. Payment and all forms must be received by this deadline.
4-H Awards Banquet will take place in December in conjunction with our Annual Christmas party Thursday December 5 at the Green Barn at 6pm. This will count as a meeting for all members that attend. All members will be recognized for their accomplishments throughout the 4-H year.
- If you would like to submit a recordbook for county awards please turn it in by 6pm November 7th. I have attached the Awards application that must be submitted with your recordbook and the star award descriptions.
- Bring a side dish or dessert to share, main dish will be provided
- Bring personal hygiene items in a gift bag for Meals on Wheels recipients (this is your ticket in the door)
- Each club should donate 2 items(cake, dessert or gift basket) for the Auction (Club managers please arrange who will bring the items to represent your club)
- Please RSVP to the Extension Office by November 27th so we have a head count for the meal
4-H and Youth Development
4-H Club Managers, project and activity leaders, as well volunteers at large gain leadership, project and communication skills that help them to develop into effective leaders in the community and in the Freestone County 4-H Program.
Freestone County 4-H Projects and Teams
- Fashion Show-see below
- Fashion Storyboard-see below
- Holiday Classic- livestock project clinic and practice show
- Food Challenge-see below
- Food Show-see below
- Ag Product ID-see below
- Horse Judging
- Wool & Mohair Judging
- Plant ID
- Range Evaluation
- Livestock Judging -see below
- Meat Judging
- Educational Presentations
- Beef Quiz Bowl
- Horse Quiz Bowl
- Share the Fun
- Leaders 4 Life Skill-a-thon
- Shotgun and Archery
- Horse Shows
- County Fair Livestock show visit: freestoncountyfairandrodeo.com
- County Fair Home & Garden show visit: http://freestonecountyfairandrodeo.com
- Archery: you must enroll in 4-H to attend practice. If you have questions and for practice dates contact Yvonne 903-390-8060
- Shotgun: If you are brand new, have questions or to find out practice dates contact Josh Holcomb 903-394-1459. All 4-H members wishing to participate in shooting sports must be enrolled in 4-H and be active on 4-H connect before you can practice. Make sure you are enrolled by Sept 30th at the latest.
- Food Show & Food Challenge practices will continue once a month on the following dates in order to improve for next years competition. All practices will be located at Fairfield High School Room C101 and will begin at 6pm.
- Horse Showing and Riding practices are held every Tuesday at 6pm at the Limestone County Fairgrounds in Groesbeck, Halter and groundwork is the first hour and riding is after.
District 8 4-H
- District Events, dates and information can be found:
- Quality Counts has a new look, a new site, and a new exam! We are excited to release the new version of the program! The new curriculum has been designed to better equip our youth livestock exhibitors with the most relevant and timely information related to the livestock project area. Focused on quality assurance and character education, Quality Counts is designed to teach young people the importance of displaying good character in carrying out livestock projects, and in every aspect of their lives. **There is a very important one-pager attached with detailed instructions of how students should enroll/login to the course. **
- Here are a couple of new components of the program to be aware of:
- Exhibitors will first be required to engage in the full learning content before being presented with the verification exam.
- Please be aware of this in advance as this could take around two hours for most students to complete the full content and test.
- Exhibitors will be able to start and revisit the curriculum as many times as needed.
- Exhibitors will have to complete the test once it is started.
- Exhibitors must achieve 80% or great to pass the exam, but can take it as many times as needed.
- Exhibitors will be exposed and tested on the content potentially three times in their livestock showing career: junior (grade 3-5), intermediate (grade 6-8), and senior (grade 9-12).
- Exhibitors will access the course and exam at a new website: https://www.texaslivestockvalidation.com/qc/qcregister.aspx
- This will be connected to the current Texas Livestock Validation Website for ease-of-access to information for supervising County Extension Agents and Agricultural Science Teachers.
- Verification on the new system will be required for entries into Spring major livestock shows.
- **Verification on the old system is acceptable for State Fair of Texas and Heart ‘O Texas Fair entries.**
Students can access the course here: https://www.texaslivestockvalidation.com/qc/qcregister.aspx. The website is very user-friendly, but I have attached a screen shot to accompany the one-pager to help exhibitors get started..
IMPORTANT: One thing to be aware of is that login to the curriculum site requires unique email addresses for each user. This is explained further in the attachment. We realize there will be cases of families with multiple youth and limited email addresses. If the family cannot use a parent email, create one, or use a student email address, we will assist on a case-by-case basis.
We do hope that the new Quality Counts program is a positive experience for both exhibitors and supervisors as we strive to raise the bar in livestock exhibitor education. We appreciate your support and patience as we worked to get this out to you all in a timely manner. Thank you for continued commitment in equipping youth livestock exhibitors with the tools and resources that truly make a difference.